A world where people are separated into factions based on their personalities–that’s the premise behind Veronica Roth’s best-selling YA series Divergent, and now we get a glimpse of the film (out March 21) with its first trailer. In the teaser, Shailene Woodley stars as Tris Prior, an outlier deemed a “divergent” because she doesn’t fit into any one category. But as any fan of the books will know, the divergents are not very well liked in this future society and their fate is uncertain, to put it nicely.
Watch the trailer below and keep a lookout for these 5 great moments:
1. Kate Winslet as villainous faction leader Jeanine Matthews–that short bob and dress suit mean business.
2. Tris’ tank-in-water scene left us a little breathless.
3. A dreamy Theo James as Four schools Woodley’s Tris in martial arts.
4. Apparently his mentoring had an effect; Woodley throws those punches like a pro later in the trailer.
5. The impressive set design feels as stark and menacing as the book made it sound.
What do you think of the trailer?
For the latest pop culture news and voting, make sure to sign up for the People’s Choice newsletter!