Happy Monday! Catch up on all the pop culture news of the weekend with today’s headlines! Fox cancels The X Factor,
Ryan Atwood Ben McKenzie has been tapped to rescue Gotham City from nefarious criminal activity and Will Smith decides not to save the planet from an alien attack in Independence Day 2. Those stories and more in today’s celebrity headlines!
Here are the 6 stories you need to read this morning:
1. The X Factor gets the ax. After three seasons of declining ratings, Fox has decided to cancel the Simon Cowell singing competition. “I’ve had a fantastic time over the last 12 years, both on The X Factor and American Idol,” said Cowell in a statement. “And apart from being lucky enough to find some amazing talent on the shows, I have always had an incredible welcome from the American public (most of the time!).” [Entertainment Weekly]
2. Rest easy, Gotham City. Ben McKenzie is here to protect you. The Southland alum has been cast as James Gordon in Fox’s highly anticipated new Batman prequel, Gotham. McKenzie, who previously punched his way into the hearts of fans as brooding bad boy with a heart of gold Ryan Atwood on The O.C., will headline the series described as “an origin tale centering on DC Comics fixture Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham famous.” [The Hollywood Reporter]
3. A valuable piece of music history just became available to the public. The Hard Rock opened its memorabilia vault to release a 1968 interview with John and Yoko Ono Lennon conducted by Keele University student Maurice Hindle. This two hour interview is now available for the first time in its entirety to fans on the Hard Rock website. [Hard Rock]
4. There’s little to No Doubt that Gwen Stefani hosted the baby shower of the year this weekend! Gwyneth Paltrow, Jessica Alba and Kate Beckinsale were among the notable stars on hand to celebrate with Stefani, who is expecting her third son with husband Gavin Rossdale. [Us Weekly]
5. Would you watch Independence Day 2 without Will Smith? The star of the original action thriller has reportedly told Twentieth Century Fox that he’s passing on the proposed sequel that would hit theaters in the summer of 2016. The studio is said to be still interested in preceding with the sequel despite Smith’s absence.[Deadline]
6. Oops! She did it again. Britney Spears debuted a bold new brunette look on Twitter over the weekend while promoting the release of two of her newest fragrances, “Naughty Remix” and “Nice Remix.” Take a look! [People]
B.J. Novak Opens Up About His Tumultuous Relationship With Mindy Kaling, ‘The Office’ Finale and More
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler Apologized to Matt Damon for Calling Him a ‘Garbage Man’ at the Globes…Thanks to George Clooney
‘Mean Girls’ Director Reveals Lindsay Lohan Was Supposed to Play Regina George
For the latest pop culture news and voting, make sure to sign up for the People’s Choice newsletter!