Exactly 10 years ago today The Notebook hit theaters engendering a variety of emotions that both captured our hearts and loosened our tear ducts. On its way to grossing over $115 million at the box office, the popularity of The Notebook catapulted the careers of actors Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams transforming the aspirant cinematic couple into household names.
To celebrate 10 years of excusing ourselves because we “have something in our eye,” we decided to take a look back at the popular modern love story known as The Notebook.
Here are 10 facts you may not know about the movie:
1. When filming on The Notebook began, Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling did not get along.
Even though the co-stars would later become romantically involved, the two had a rather contentious relationship on set. “We inspired the worst in each other,” Gosling said. “It was a strange experience, making a love story and not getting along with your co-star in any way.”
2. At one point, Gosling asked the director to bring a different actress in for his off-camera shots because he felt McAdams was uncooperative.
This led to a shouting match between Gosling and director Nick Cassavetes. Eventually, cooler heads prevailed.
3. Ryan Gosling read with 10 different actresses before meeting with “last minute addition” Rachel McAdams.
Director Nick Cassavetes explained the casting process: “We went around with a video camera, and we just looked up people that were working and interrupted them from their movies. And some of them were really, really, really great, but when Ms. McAdams came in and read, it was apparent that she was the one.”
4. Ryan Gosling built the kitchen table featured in the movie in preparation for his role as Noah.
In fact, Gosling prepared for his role by living in Charleston, South Carolina before filming began. According to IMDB, he rowed the Ashley River in the morning and built furniture during the day.
5. Co-stars Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams were actually born in the same hospital!
The two stars both hail from London, Ontario Canada.
6. Ryan Gosling wore brown contacts throughout the movie because James Garner (who played “Old Noah”) has brown eyes.
Sorry Gos, you have to hide those baby blues.
7. Entertainment Weekly has touted the epic lip lock between Gosling and McAdams as the “all-time best movie kiss.”
Can’t say we disagree with them.
8. Producer Mark Johnson credits the electric chemistry between Gosling and McAdams for the success of the movie.
As we can see from McAdams audition tape, the chemistry between the two leads was evident from the very beginning.
9. Gena Rowlands, the Emmy award-winning actress who played older Allie, is the mother of the director.
10. The Notebook starring Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears?
While highly unlikely, both of Gosling’s former The New Micky Mouse Club co-stars did audition for the featured roles.
Happy birthday, The Notebook!
For the latest pop culture news and voting, make sure to sign up for the People’s Choice newsletter!