Prepare yourself for some earth-shattering, jaw-dropping news that will both bewitch and delight: J.K. Rowling posted a new Harry Potter story this morning.
The scribe sent the Potter-sphere into a serious tizzy with the new short (it’s only about 1500 words), which centers around a 30-something Harry.
Yes, that’s right. Harry Potter is old (well, relatively speaking). And so are his friends.
So, what have Harry and company been up to since the epilogue of Deathly Hallows?
(If you’d rather find out for yourself, stop reading right now to avoid spoilers!)
Here are five things you need to know about J.K. Rowling’s new Harry Potter story:
1. The story is written as a newspaper article by the Daily Prophet’s gossip correspondent Rita Skeeter, and follows Harry as he reunites with his friends during the Quidditch World Cup final.
And yes, he’s still bespectacled.
2. Ron worked at the Ministry of Magic for two years, but now co-manages Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes with his brother George.
His wife Hermione, however, still maintains her successful career at the Ministry of Magic.
3. Ginny Potter is a reporter for the Daily Prophet, assigned to covering the Quidditch World Cup.
And Ms. Skeeter certainly doesn’t attempt to conceal her antipathy or perhaps professional jealousy for Potter’s “plum writing assignments.”
4. Neville Longbottom is a Herbology teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and is married to Hannah Abbott.
Hannah has not only retrained as a Healer, but is applying for the job of Matron at Hogwarts.
5. Has Harry Potter transformed into a silver fox?
Skeeter mentions that Potter is sporting a “couple of threads of silver,” while Ronald Weasley’s ginger locks appear to be “thinning slightly.” Sadly, they did not post any selfies on Instagram, so their exact appearance remains shrouded in mystery.
For the latest pop culture news and voting, make sure to sign up for the People’s Choice newsletter!