Filled with aca-mazing song renditions (sans instruments, of course), aca-awesome characters, and a ton of ‘did you catch that?’ jokes, the musical comedy Pitch Perfect was a surprise hit back in 2012. Now, with a just released trailer for the 2015 sequel, Pitch Perfect 2, our a capella obsession has been reignited and is burning bright.
With all the returning characters on hand (as well as some fresh faces!), actress and first-time director Elizabeth Banks is stepping up the challenge of guiding the Barden Bellas through senior year and the world championship of a capella. No biggie. In the words of Fat Amy, the Bellas are going to “crush it!”
While you practice your vocals to sing along to the next installment come May 2015, here are nine surprising Pitch Perfect (and Pitch Perfect 2!) movie facts to get you through your daily riffs.
1. Everyone in the films who plays a singing part had to sing a full song for their audition. Rebel Wilson, who plays Fat Amy, sang Lady Gaga’s “Edge of Glory.” In case you’re wondering, she “smashed it”.
3. Both Amy Poehler and Kristen Wiig were considered for the role of competition commentator, Gail, played by Elizabeth Banks. Banks reportedly decided to play the role herself in part because “she was on set anyway” and wouldn’t have to spring for anyone’s airfare. Good choice!
4. Kelley Jackle, Adam DeVine’s (aka Bumper) girlfriend, plays Barden Bella Jessica in the film (rivalry!) and is actually a professional a capella singer in real life.
5. Ever wonder what Audrey’s vomit from the infamous opening scene is actually made of? Yeah, neither do we. But apparently, the cast revealed it was a concoction made of pineapple juice, tomato juice and chicken noodle soup.
6. The “burrito scene” was based on a strange occurrence that really happened to screenwriter Kay Cannon back in college. She was jogging with her then boyfriend when a group of guys in a passing van threw a burrito at them. Punks.
7. Kay Cannon, responsible for much of the film’s quirky,“wait, what?” type of moments, has also written for TV comedies like 30 Rock and The New Girl.
8. Ester Dean, who plays one of the supporting Bellas, Cynthia Rose, is an accomplished Hollywood singer-songwriter, responsible for hits like 2009’s “Drop It Low” and Rihanna’s “S&M”, which she actually sang during the Riff-Off.
9. Pitch Perfect 2 will feature real college and professional a capella groups! Third season winners of NBC’s The Sing Off, Pentatonix, and Hindi a capella group Penn Masala are both set to make cameos.
People’s Choice Alert! Pitch Perfect star Brittany Snow hits the red carpet in 2013.
We put The Real Husbands of Hollywood cast, Christina Perri, Ciara, and more celebs in the hot seat with our original video series Against the Clock. Watch below!
For the latest pop culture news and voting, make sure to sign up for the People’s Choice newsletter!