There’s never a dull moment at the People’s Choice Awards – even the red carpet is full of surprises!
In addition to all of the stunning ensembles and goofy banter, the red carpet is where all of your favorite stars get to open up about the projects they’re pumped for, and tease the exciting things yet to come. And this year, they did more than just tease, revealing some juicy scoop about the shows and films you know and love, as well as the ones you’re counting down the days until.
On the off-chance that you missed all of the glitz and glamour of the People’s Choice Awards red carpet on Wednesday night, we’ve rounded up all of the biggest gossip, most shocking scoop and news you need to know, straight from the stars themselves.
1. Lady Antebellum revealed that the red carpet isn’t always as glamorous as it appears on TV. E!’s Live from the Red Carpet coverage opened with Charles Kelley admitting that his Dolce & Gabbana suit had popped a hole in the limo, and he was so proud of his wardrobe malfunction that he spent much of the interview with Giuliana Rancic showing off a tiny peek at his thigh. But Kelley isn’t the only one with a red carpet secret: Hillary Scott’s clutch was empty, and her real purse was backstage, waiting for her to finish performing.
2. Hosts Anna Faris and Allison Janney didn’t rehearse at all for the big night… well, at least, they didn’t feel like they did. Moments before the show, the stars of Mom revealed that they were still a little nervous about captaining the People’s Choice Awards, and Janney admitted that they kept looking at each other during rehearsals, wide-eyed and a little overwhelmed. Luckily, Faris said she was taking comfort in the show’s relaxed, fun atmosphere, saying “Even if [they] do mess up, it’ll still be okay.” If the final result is any indication, the two ladies did just fine.
3. Patricia Arquette had no trouble keeping her storyline in the critically acclaimed Boyhood straight. Despite filming over the course of 12 years, the Golden Globe and SAG nominee was able to stay focused on her character’s developments and motivations thanks to a long conversation that she and director Richard Linklater had at the start of filming, where they laid out the entire film. She was also helped along by the rehearsals that took place at the start of each year’s filming, where she was able to concentrate on all the small ways that Olivia would have developed in the time that passed.
4. Tracee Ellis Ross’ character on Black-ish is inspired by a real person. When Anthony Anderson stopped by to talk with Ross Mathews about Favorite New Comedy nominee Black-ish, he revealed that his and co-creator Kenya Barris’ real lives were the inspirations for the show. But while the kids are an amalgam of both the Anderson and Barris broods, Rainbow is, in fact, a real person. Specifically, Barris’ wife, who we imagine is just as funny as her onscreen counterpart.
5. Dax Shepard came up with the name of his and Kristen Bell’s newborn daughter. When it comes to naming babies, the Parenthood star is a master. After picking out the name of their first daughter, Lincoln, Bell felt it was her turn to pick out the perfect name for their next bundle of joy. But the second that Shepard threw out “Delta,” she was forced to concede that there was no name that would fit her better. So if you’re stuck on a name for your baby, why not give Shepard a call?
6. Ellen Degeneres and Monica Potter are becoming moguls. Sure, they could be content with their hugely popular TV shows, but Degeneres and Potter felt they needed new outlets for their creative impulses. For the superstar talk show host, it’s a clothing line that will arrive in stores in May. In fact, Degeneres is so proud of her line that she gave fans a preview by wearing a jacket from the collection on the red carpet. Potter, however, is passionate about home decor, and her website (mrspotter.com) dedicated to the best in home goods will soon be opening a flagship store in Chicago. Now you can bring your favorite TV stars into your home in a brand new way!
For the latest pop culture news and voting, make sure to sign up for the People’s Choice newsletter!