‘Hawaii Five-0’ Star Daniel Dae Kim Speaks Out After Shocking Exit From Series

featured-image
shares
(Photo: Screen Grab/CBS)
Leave a comment

Fans are still in shock about the departure of two Hawaii Five-0 original cast members ahead of season eight.

After CBS announced last week that Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park  — who had been with Hawaii Five-0 since it was reimagined in 2010 — would not be returning next season, there has been a lot of speculation as to what prompted the stars to leave the cop drama. On Wednesday (July 5), Kim finally spoke out about his decision to exit the series, explaining that he was unable to reach an agreement with CBS to renew his contract.

“By now many of you have heard the news, and I’m sad to say it is true. I will not be returning to Hawaii Five-0 when production starts next week. Though I made myself available to come back, CBS and I weren’t able to agree to terms on a new contract, so I made the difficult choice not to continue,” Kim told his fans via a lengthy and heartfelt Facebook post.

Kim took the time to say goodbye and thank everyone who assisted him on this journey, which just makes us miss him and his iconic character so much more.

“As sad as it feels to say goodbye, what I feel most is gratitude. I am so deeply thankful to our crew, writers and everyone associated with the show – and especially the cast, who have been nothing but supportive through this entire process. They and the crew have been my second family for seven years and I wish them nothing but success for season 8 – and beyond.

The actor also thanked the creators of the hit series for their role in crafting his character, Chin Ho Kelly.

“I also want to say to thank you to Peter Lenkov, Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and everyone at CBS. I will always be grateful for their faith in me to bring Chin Ho Kelly to life. As an Asian American actor, I know first-hand how difficult it is to find opportunities at all, let alone play a well developed, three dimensional character like Chin Ho. I will miss him sincerely,” he explained.

“What made him even more special is that he was a representative of a place my family and I so dearly love. It has been nothing short of an honor to be able to showcase the beauty and people of Hawaii every week, and I couldn’t be prouder to call these islands home. To my local community, mahalo nui loa,” he continued.

Last but certainly not least, the South Korea native thanked fans, saying, “I’ve read your messages and I can’t tell you how much they’ve meant to me. I never, ever forget that YOU are the reason Hawaii Five-0 is the success that it is, and interacting with you online and in person around the world(!) has been one of the greatest joys of this entire experience. I’m so sorry we won’t be continuing this journey together.”

Kim wrapped up by encouraging fans to focus on the “bigger picture,” and by teasing his upcoming projects, including ABC’s The Good Doctor.

“I’ll end by saying that though transitions can be difficult, I encourage us all to look beyond the disappointment of this moment to the bigger picture. The path to equality is rarely easy. But I hope you can be excited for the future. I am,” he said. “5-0 continues on after one of its strongest seasons. I’ve got new acting projects on the horizon, and as a producer, my company, 3AD, has its first show, THE GOOD DOCTOR, set to air this fall on ABC. I hope you’ll tune in. There’s a lot to look forward to and I’ll be sure to share it with you.”

According to E! News, Hawaii Five-0 will address both exits when it returns this fall.

Hawaii Five-0 returns for its eighth season on September 29, 2017 at 9 p.m. on CBS.